I’m happy to report that the flu has almost left the Sendelbach house! Steve still has a little bit of a residual cough, but we’re back at it again, and the house juices are officially flowing!
First off, the electricians came two weeks ago. It took them two entire days of work, but we have electricity flowing through the house! They reconfigured all of the outlets in the kitchen, ran wire for pendant lights over the peninsula, added overhead lighting in the living room, dining room, and all three bedrooms, and they brought the house up to code by installing smoke detectors in all the required places – no wonder it took them two days!
We don’t have any actual outlets in the kitchen yet (the electrical is only roughed-in…), so I guess we will just keep supplying power to the main level via extension cord from the upstairs bathroom. I can’t wait until we have functional outlets down there!
All those blue boxes are future outlets
There have also been a lot of creative juices flowing lately, as we have started painting in the upstairs bedrooms! I’m really excited because painting means that we’re finally done tearing things apart (for the most part!) and we are starting putting the house back together!
We chose to start in the master bedroom because that is the one room we really want complete before we move in. We could live in a room that is completely torn apart, but we’re all for avoiding that if possible!
If you recall, the master bedroom looked a little something like this:
That’s right…pink walls, pink ceiling, pink trim, pink doors, and heck, even pick outlets! That’s right, even the actual outlets were painted pink! I’m not really sure who thought it was a good idea to stick a paint brush in an outlet, but it’s definitely not something I would do!
If an entire pink room wasn’t enough, the room had been painted poorly (drips running down the wall, obnoxious streaking where a paint brush was used, etc.) in a glossy paint…which added another level of complexity to the process.
The first thing we had to do to prepare the walls for painting was to patch all of the holes in the wall using spackling. And believe me, there were a lot of holes to patch! There were random pin holes all over the room, plant hooks that had been gouged into the ceiling, multiple sets of window coverings that had been hung haphazardly, cracks over the doorways, and the closet had a hole large enough that it could have been from somebody’s fist!
Luckily, spackling itself is pretty easy. You simply put some spackle on a putty knife,
And spread it in the hole and let it dry.
You don’t need to worry about getting it perfectly smooth because after it dries it gets a nice sanding.
Nice big crack above the door that Steve did a great job patching
Speaking of sanding, that was our next step in the bedroom. If you recall, the paint on the walls had a glossy finish, meaning that there would be nothing for the new paint to adhere to. We had to create a rough surface for the paint to stick to, and we did that by sanding the entire room…by hand!
That has definitely been my least favorite part of the renovation. It was really dusty and you saw no progress being made. However, it was a great arm workout!
After everything had been sanded, including the ceiling, it was time for a quick wash and then we were ready to paint!
All prepped for painting!
The first part of the room we painted was the ceiling, which was much more difficult than both Steve and I had imagined. It was hard for a few reasons. First of all, the tools we had for the job weren’t exactly the best. We had purchased a roller that had a splatter shield to prevent us from getting more paint on ourselves than on the ceiling, but I swear the roller wasn’t actually circular. When you ran it across the ceiling it felt somewhat like I imagine it would feel driving a car with square tires. Plus, the fact that the ceiling was glossy made it really easy for our uneven roller to just slide across the ceiling instead of rolling.
After two coats of ceiling paint, it was time for the walls! Our bedroom has a rustic Americana theme, so we decided to go with a neutral tan room (Nomadic Desert from Sherwin-Williams to be exact). I had toyed with the idea of a deep blue accent wall that matches the blue in our quilt, but I don’t want the room to get too dark, so we’re going to hold off for now.
It looks soooooo much better!
We used Sherwin-Williams’ Emerald paint, and let me tell you, that stuff is AMAZING!! It is self-priming (so there was no need to prime the wall) and was incredibly thick, meaning it only took one coat. I had originally gotten two gallons of paint tinted that color, but we didn’t even go through a half gallon! I guess some other places in our house are going to be that color too!
We still have a little bit of painting to do in this room, like the closet and the window, but I’m just thankful it is no longer pink!
I couldn’t resist! Love my hubby!
Besides painting, there have been a few other creative juices flowing as well. My company had free tickets to the Remodeling Expo being held in Baltimore. Since the tickets were free, we thought we would go check it out, perhaps find some inspiration.
However, when we got there, it looked like this.
That’s right, there was no one there! We went to the show on Friday night, which happened to be the first day of the expo. I expected it to be slow, but not dead. Because there was no one there, we were swarmed by just about everybody that had a booth. After getting suckered into making two appointments for free window estimates, we got much better at telling people we weren’t interested. In the end the expo wasn’t what we had hoped, but you never know until you check it out!
On a happier note, we officially ordered our kitchen cabinets! Feast your eyes on a sneak peak of the kitchen that will soon be! It is going to be AWESOME!
Design by Cabinet Discounters
Next up, drywall!
Until our next renovation update,